2000 Oldsmobile Alero

Discussion in 'General Motors Products' started by amigomomama, Apr 15, 2017.

1. amigomomama

amigomomama New Member

Well I'm back to ask for your advice once again. My 2000 Oldsmobile Alero keeps needing oil, but its not leaking oil anywhere none getting on the ground after parking it. It seems like it is burning oil somewhere but there is no smell of oil burning or no smoke coming from the car. I do put a lot of miles on the car due to driving about 70 something miles a day to go back and forth to work each day, the car runs great when going up and down the interstate but when I am stopped at a red light and of course having my foot on the break the car seems to break down somewhat, but only when I have the break paddle completely engaged, when I let up on it just a little the car seem to run a little better, and of course when I let up on it completely it seem to run right again. I know it sounds funny but that is what it does, it is really stumping us, we just can't figure out what is going on. So for now, I just put it in neutral when I know I will be sitting for a few, I know I shouldn't have to do that, but I do, this is something else I need your expert help with as well. Can you help me with my problems, if you need any other information please ask me, I really want to keep my car on the road and these things are really starting to worry me with having to drive a good ways everyday, I'm afraid these things could develop into something bigger, and if that is the case we need to nip them in the butt before they do. Please help, you guys have always been there to help us out, when we can't seem to figure it out ourselves.

2. Crew Chief

Crew Chief Crew Cheif/Site Admin Administrator

Your brake booster is leaking vacuum and check you PCV system is there oil in your air cleaner what kind of oil do you use cheap oil will cause problems as will the wrong weight

3. amigomomama

amigomomama New Member

Are you asking if there is oil on the air filter, no there is no oil on the air filter. We use Quaker State 5w30 oil. Can you explain what you mean by the PCV system the repair book does not state anything about the PCV system. Can you also explain how we can check the brake booster for leaks or should we just go ahead and replace brake booster.

4. amigomomama

amigomomama New Member

Ok we were able to test the brake booster to make sure it was not leaking, and it isn't leaking, and there is no oil in the air cleaner. We use the oil that the book states to use which is 5w30 and we always use Quaker State oil. It seems that after driving it for a while that when I stop and the car is in the idle mode is when it starts to break down even when I put it in park it just doesn't run right it breaks down and runs ruff. Please I really need to keep my car on the road and am really don't want this to turn into a bigger problem. HELP

5. Crew Chief

Crew Chief Crew Cheif/Site Admin Administrator

I don't know how you checked the brake booster but I think it is the source of your problem you could check the EGR valve and be sure it is sealing just disconnect it also and this is a big maybe check fuel pressure also does the vehicle try to creep in park it may be a sticking overdrive solenoid but this should quit when in park. Here again just disconnect it. How many miles and what engine

6. amigomomama

amigomomama New Member

We will check the things that you suggest. It has a 2.4 twin cam, but to let you know the motor has been rebuilt, but has just started doing this, it has two hundred twenty thousand miles on it. The motor was rebuilt by the Cougar Motor Co., Inc. in 2010 at the time the odometer reading was 138,865. We have always done the oil changes every 3000 miles as well as the air filter gets changed every 6 months or before if needed. The car runs great, I can push on the gas and it goes has great pick-up and doesn't break down while driving only when idling with the foot on the break, and there are times after traveling 30 miles or so, before shouting the car off in park it starts to run ruff but not as bad when it's in drive, idling with the foot on the break.

7. amigomomama

amigomomama New Member

We checked all that you stated and everything seems to be fine there, but it is still running ruff when idling with the foot on the brake.

8. amigomomama

amigomomama New Member

Well I guess you don't have the answer for me this time. Our repair book tell you how to check the break booster to make sure it is doing what it is suppose to do, and we followed what it said to do, and the break booster did exactly what it was suppose to do. Now I have noticed when I pull up in the driveway which has a little slope to it that the car does run a little ruff as well, and that is only when I am on the slope of the driveway. And the other day while sitting at a red light on a slope the car in drive I let my foot off the break and it starting rolling backwards, now I know it isn't suppose to do that, not a automatic, now a standard yea. Why would it do that, I am really trying to understand how a automatic works, I am use to having a stick under me so this is all new to me. I really need you guys help so that I can keep my now automatic on the road.